A recent article, The Right Way To Quit Your Day Job to Start a Business by Mike Kappel says that working on your startup in the evenings is just fine, but working on it during the day while your employer is paying you is a big no. That’s stealing!
As soon as your new business starts distracting you from your job with your employer, it’s time to resign because you don’t want to head out the door looking like a thief. In the business world, relationships and trust are vital!
Here are seven principles to quit your job with dignity:
- Give your employer a full two‐week notice —make it a short letter that tells them how thankful you are for the opportunity to have worked for them in their executive suites , and how much you’ve learned!
- If your employer offers you a pay raise to stay, tell them you’re grateful, but don’t accept it. Once you’ve turned in your resignation notice, it’s final. MOVE ON!
- Document everything you’ve recently worked on for your employer. Organize them before you leave.
- Never take any clients, friends and co‐workers with you when you leave. Start your own business in Ballantyne Individual Office space, fresh with a clean slate and clean reputation.
- Tell your employer that if they have questions for you after you leave you’ll be eager to answer those questions for them. This is one way to move towards a positive relationship with your company, which may help your startup in the future.
- On your last day, shake hands with your bosses and coworkers and thank them. Tell them how you appreciated working with them and give them your forwarding contact information.
- Make it a point to only speak positive things about your employer.
Following these principles will help you build a business based on reliability and integrity—key factors to successful business journey. As a startup, YourOffice offers you a wide choice of office and workspace solutions: virtual office space, meeting room access, and coworking office space. You’ll have access to a complete array of office support and concierge services as well as state of the art business technology.