Nowadays people have an “office” at home, in a co-working space or even at the nearest coffee shop. Fortunately, technology has allowed everyone — even entrepreneurs who commute to a traditional office every day — to benefit from the flexibility of working from home when it’s needed or preferred.
Anyone who works from home will tell you that it has its benefits, yet also challenges. When I started my business in 1998, social media did not exist, I had no clients and most of my friends worked in a traditional office setting.
Here are some tips to keep in mind to stay focused on your work throughout the day:
1. Set and keep regular office hours.Most people who work from home find they work too much rather than too little. Other remote workers struggle to keep a regular schedule — working a few hours one day and pulling an all-nighter the next.
Do your best to set work hours and stick to them. Then try your best to leave work at the “office” and turn your phone on silent and enjoy the rest of your day.
2. Plan and structure your workday.Structure your workday to maximize efficiency. Take advantage of your body’s natural rhythms and plan your work around your most productive hours.
Make a list of your most important tasks before you move on to less urgent business.
3. Dress to impress (even if it’s just for your dog).As enticing as it is to stay in pajamas all day, this is not the best work habit. The way you dress affects you psychologically.
Taking the time to shower, have breakfast, brush and dress can make someone feel more confident. Maintain a casual (not sloppy) work wardrobe to help you transition smoothly between home and office — even if they’re in the same place.
4. Set aside a designated work area.Try to work at the same spot every day. It could be a spare bedroom that you’ve turned into a home office, a desk located in the corner of the living room or even the dining room table.
Make sure your workspace functions efficiently for you, your business and your style.
5. Take breaks.Rise from your desk, stretch or walk around the house or down the street. Take a lunch break and enjoy a midday meal.
If you need a little socializing, go out to lunch with friends or clients.
6. Avoid distractions.Stay focused on work throughout the day to maintain consistent productivity. Avoid online distractions as well. Limit the time spent on email, social media and websites unrelated to work.
Set a timer on your phone or computer if necessary. Don’t waste time or money on meetings or activities that are counterproductive to your success.
Youroffice is a world-class network of business centers providing clients with fully serviced full-time offices, virtual offices and meeting rooms, all available with flexible terms and on-demand.
The Smarter Way to office. Whether you are a small business owner or a large enterprise, everything you need to optimize your business performance is right here – from day one.